Thursday, November 18, 2010

NFL = Epic Fail


I read this article recently and it sparked a conversation on facebook when I shared the link. The frustrating part of it is that so many people seem to think because Michael Vick served time for the crimes he committed that it means we should move on and forget about it. We can't control what he is doing now and he has the right to make a living. Because he paid his debt to society. Yeah right. I cannot disagree more. He served time in jail yes. Paid his debt to society? I think not. When there are victims still left living with the memories of what he did to them the debt will never be repaid.
*
I like the line in the article: "Cruelty to animals isn't something somebody does, it's something somebody is." This is exactly why dog lovers will always hate this man. Let's remember that he LAUGHED while he killed and tortured dogs. (by strangling, drowning and electrocutions) And not just 1 or 2 dogs either, as if that mattered, but repeatedly. He admitted it! I also think this of some other criminals as well. Do child molesters and rapists ever really pay their debt? They serve time and hopefully it is a punishment that makes them think twice about doing it again. But I doubt their victims would agree that anything has been paid. They live with that trauma forever. I have a problem with anyone who hurts defenseless people and animals. Would you trust someone who did that? What does that say about their character?
*
Does he have the right to work? Sure, he can pump gas or flip burgers. Should he be allowed to become a role model for others playing football? I find that sickening. If anything he is an example of having enough money or talent means if you get caught doing something horrendous it won't impact your life very much. You can still become a super star and make oodles of money. Shame on the NFL for not having a morals clause. They have only proven that the all mighty dollar is the bottom line for them. People who are in the public eye SHOULD be held to a higher standard, at least in my world. Because they are watched and emulated whether they should be or not.
*
Would I feel differently if he stood up and took responsibility for his actions? If he volunteered his free time at a local shelter to help out? (that was not court ordered) If he voluntarily pledged a percentage of his "earnings" to other former fighting dogs? Maybe. If it were done with sincerity I might consider it. I haven't seen any of that yet and I'm not holding my breath.
*
The whole topic makes me angry and sad. Angry because it is an example of how unfair life can be. That a monster is worshiped by some merely for having talent at a sport. Sad because there are still thousands of fighting and bait dogs still out there living horrific lives daily. Put yourself in their shoes and just imagine that kind of life for a few minutes.
*
Michael Vick is an example of how celebrity gets you a pass and how sorely lacking our society is when it comes to ethics.

5 comments:

Tracy & Simon said...

Great post Marie!

There is a HUGE difference between serving your time and reformation- making lasting change. A man who is able to laugh in the face if such violence does not change quickly...

Yrro said...

Why should the NFL have more or less of a morality clause than Citgo? I agree that the guy is sick and I will not cheer for him, but if we're not going to let people use their skills to make a living after they get out of prison then why do we let them out at all? Why not just shoot them on the spot?

If you're going to have the concept of a prison sentence that you can finish, you have to let those people re-integrate into society somehow. Football is what he does, the same as I code or you teach dogs. The logic you're talking about is the same thinking that leads to the infamous Florida sexual predator camps, where those who get out of prison aren't allowed to live anywhere and end up in tents under a bridge.

Marie said...

I think you missed my overall point.

He could always use his football skills to coach somewhere. He doesn't need to be an NFL player which is the same as being a celebrity in this society.

And I'm not saying he can't make a living. I just think he shouldn't be doing something that MAKES him a role model for others. Being in the NFL does that for him. They could have said no.

By YOUR logic I can go to prison for abusing dogs and still be a dog trainer when I get out. It's the skill I have after all.

I'm not even going to address the sexual predator issue. That is a topic for another blog.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

He shouldn't have been allowed to come back and be a football hero. The NFL should have a higher morality standard than Citgo simply. Anyone who puts themself out there publicly (like a politician, police officer, public servant, actor, sports figure, etc)should be held to a higher moral standard than a Citgo employee.

Diana N' Kallie said...

I couldn't agree more. He is sickening and people who say 'oh, forgive him, this is what he grew up with. He didn't know any better'.

I'm sure there was SOMETHING in his head telling him NOT to do it or telling him it wasn't right. Did he care?! Clearly NOT!

He doesn't deserve to be in the NFL, in my opinion.