Friday, September 28, 2012

He's a prince that needs a home


I have a breeder friend who took back a dog after being in a home for 5 years. This is what a good breeder does. They either take back a dog they bred when it needs a new home OR helps the owner find the dog a new home. THIS is just one reason why I support reputable breeders.

This obviously gorgeous Chow Chow boy needs a new home. One where limits will be set fairly for him. His is a bit of a Cinderella story, only in reverse. He was spoiled on an estate and had acres to roam, kids to play with and staff to attend to him. (yes, he literally had staff) Sadly his owner was uncomfortable when he protested being pulled out of the car (one of his favorite spots) and decided he was to much dog for her. Now he is back at the kennel and wishing he was in a home he can call his own again. To protect his identity I will call him "Prince".

He has lived with kids and does fine with female dogs. He is VERY social and loves people. He also has a great willingness to learn and might make someone an excellent obedience prospect. (He still remembered his High Five trick I taught him when he was a pup.) If I didn't already have a big hairy dog in residence he would probably have come home with me.

Now I admit I am slightly biased about him. He was here for training when he was a puppy and I got to work with him when he spent some time with the breeder while the family traveled. ( http://k-9solutionsdogtraininginc.blogspot.com/2008/01/good-day-at-office.html ) I also LOVE this breeders dogs. She breeds with health in mind and her dogs have wonderful temperments.

 He comes from completely health tested lines, is already neutered and crate trained. He is used to going to the groomer regularly as well. He is 5 years old, which in her lines isn't even close to old. (15 years is average)


While he does need a home that will set limits, macho owners need not apply. These dogs do not do well with force methods that insult their intelligence. 

"Prince" in action. 

One of the things I have found ironic is how fast people leap into action with a dog that has a sob story. Show a photo of a dog that has been abused, or suffering from a medical condition and people line up around the block to help out. Post a dog that isn't in danger of being euthanised and comes from a good background and you can hear the crickets chirping. I understand why, people love a sad story. And people want to see those dogs get a good home fast. Yeah his previous home was nice enough, but it still wasn't all it could have been or he wouldn't have been given up. "Prince" would like a real home too. So please pass this on so he can get his own storybook ending. Thank you!

Serious inquiry's can e-mail me at CanineHelp@aol.com or call me at 207-354-6488. His breeder isn't online as much as I am so I am helping by screening calls. He is located on the coast of Maine. 

No comments: