Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Chiengora - a.k.a. Dogfur yarn

This sweetie is Gizmo. Gizmo was a client of mine quite awhile ago. I happened to notice what a fabulous coat he had and mentioned that I sometimes spun yarn from dog fur to his mom. She graciously gifted me with some of Gizmo's brushings for me to play with. Isn't he absolutely adorable?


How could you not love that face?

So here is a photo of the yarn in progress. I am making some skeins to donate to the annual Art of the animals auction. I was hoping to have a scarf made from the yarn but my vacation interrupted my progress. Yes I know what you are thinking. I should have started sooner. You are correct. Procrastinators of the world unite! (eh maybe tomorrow) VBG


This just shows one strand of a two ply yarn. As soon as I finish filling the second bobbin I can ply them both together to get a nice balanced two ply yarn. I blended his fur together with fur from two rescued angora rabbits. (called carding) Since Gizmo originally came from a shelter himself I thought this was excellent yarn to make and offer. It will knit (or crochet) up beautifully.

For more information about the auction (happening this weekend beginning Friday!) check out the link on the shelters site here: http://www.humanesocietyofknoxcounty.org/ It is a fantastic auction with something for everyone. I'll be there one day with Hope the prison program dog so she can show off her new skills. (and hopefully find a heart to fall in love with her) This year there is a bunch of art done by prisoners to help fund the prison dog program. Come check it out and say hello!

For anyone interested in getting their own dogs fur made into yarn check out this site: http://www.vipfibers.com/ Happy brushing!

No comments: