Sunday, November 1, 2009

Continuing education

One of the things I get excited about is attending seminars to keep learning about training and behavior. I feel like there is always something more to learn in this field. I don't care if you have been in the business for 5 years or 50, you can always learn more. Check out Ed Frawley, a training veteran of 50 plus years admitting even he learned something new recently in regards to Marker Training http://leerburg.com/markers.htm Something he admits to making fun of in the past. I look forward to seeing more of his stuff veer in the positive direction after his many years in the force method training camp.
*
Side note: Yup force training works, I just prefer to go the non-confrontational and sometimes pain inducing route with my dogs whenever possible. I am not actually against all force training. But many people use it unfairly for the dog in my opinion. I started in force methods years ago so am technically now what they call a cross-over trainer since I switched techniques. When you know better you do better is the way I look at it. (P.S. Positive does NOT equal permissive.) His marker training video is awesome by the way and I can highly recommend it.
*
I have a hard time understanding why any trainer wouldn't pursue their continuing education. Learning more helps make you a better trainer. The more you know the easier your job becomes. Plus it is always good to get together with your peers to trade feedback on cases.
*
There are some seminars I can't attend due to timing, cost, travel issues or for personal reasons but I try to make any that come anywhere near me whenever possible. I can't always make it happen however. I am going to miss a spectacular one in Boston coming up with Dr. Ian Dunbar and Dr. Nicholas Dodman due to a combination of timing with my husbands winter job and a sick dog. http://www.jamesandkenneth.com/store/show/EBT-001 I placate myself by trying not to think about it. (But pass the info on!!)
*
Fortunately I found this gem in an ad seen in the local dog newspaper: Downeast Dog News. I am very excited that not only is it a fun seminar that will apply to clients dogs too, I can participate hands on with one of my dogs AND it is local to me. No long distance travel time necessary this time. Score one for me!



Yes I have her book already in my library. FMI on Dee Ganley: http://www.deesdogs.com/
*
I'll most likely take Jenny as she is my high maintenance dog that could really use the work. She is also the one I need to mentally challenge more. I'll be sure to try to nab some photos to share during the workshop.
*
P.S. Hey check out my new "search this blog" gadget on the top right of the page. I am WAY excited about this. Now finding past posts on other topics has become so much easier. Enjoy!!

No comments: