So guess who's dog ate some chocolate the day after my last post? Yup, that idiot was none other than me. I think I was the first person to go to the chart after posting. Gosh you would think someone who works for a vet and knows better would keep it out of reach. Ah but who doesn't like an adrenaline rush now and then?
I had placed the bar on top of my treadle sewing machine. Jack normally doesn't bother food on counters or on top of tables but I guess this just smelled to good for him to pass up. I had broken off some pieces to take to work and assume that is why it attracted him. The good news is that because he is so large, and I came home for lunch and caught him, he didn't have a chance to eat very much of it. Add to that when I left for work he had a kong to work on so I'm sure some if his time went into that. He also didn't eat bites of it (like some dogs would have) but took a piece to the floor and licked at it. Then he licked the rest of the bar while it was on top of the machine. The evidence was still there. Chocolate doggy drool anyone? Yeah the rest of it went into the garbage outside.
So once I figured out just how much he got and talked to the docs I work with (double checking the charts correctness) I calmed down. Then I laughed because it the whole thing was just so stupid. And Jack? Luckily he never even got any diarrhea from the incident. I gave him a dose of propectalin just in case. But I know I got lucky and I am grateful for that.
The lesson? Keep your chocolate out of reach all the time but especially after blogging about the dangers of chocolate. You're less likely to look like an idiot that way.