Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year, new plans


Happy New Year! OK so I am a few days late. No excuses, just been busy like everyone else. I've been reading on other blogs of resolutions and plans for the next year. I'm not big on resolutions. I find it just makes me feel icky if I don't stick with them. No one likes that.
*
I do have plans. One is to unveil a super cool trick with Jenny. I'm not saying what it is but you'll like it. (I've only been planning to do this trick for 2 years so don't hold your breath. I don't want to be responsible for anyone passing out.) I'd like to video our progress along the way then post it all at once when she learns the whole trick. I'm also going to keep going with our Rally trialing. Maybe not until spring though. I hate driving in snow if I don't have to. Jenny has also just started a new medication for her skin. Special thanks to Julie (a reader) for this link in Bark about it. It had been recommended by another pug person to try but my vet was hesitant until I sent her the link to the article. Fingers crossed it does the trick. Her tail seems to be healing ok so far.
*
My other planned event is to do the Idita-walk with Jack this year. I mentioned it last year then lost my motivation before it even started and never signed up. This year I've already paid my entry fee so no excuses. It starts February 1st so you still have time to join in if you are interested. I'd like to walk with Jack to get him out more. Being an "easy keeper" he tends to get taken for granted at times. The squeaky wheel gets the grease certainly applies to our Jenny. I signed just myself up though so I can take either dog or use the treadmill on days the weather is uncooperative. Just getting out and exercising daily will help with the dogs because the better you feel the more energy you have to do stuff, like more doggy outings and training. I could stand to lose a few pounds and certainly need work on my stamina. Jack makes the perfect winter walking partner. To get in the mood for the Idita-walk I will also be reading The Lance Mackey story. It was recommended by a friend. (For those looking to read about the Iditarod dog sled race I can also highly recommend Winterdance by Gary Paulsen. It is one of my all time favorite dog books.)
*
Today I took the first dog over to the prison to kick off this years K-9 Corrections program. We had a short hiatus during the holidays. I gotta say it was much needed for me to recharge my batteries. Saturday I am taking the second dog over for the other set of handlers. I have 3 new guys this time around so it's like training a whole new team. Today's sweetie is a red bone hound (possibly a mix) named Jenny. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera when I took her over. I'll be sure to grab some photos on Saturday. She is super cute and very young.
*
Saturday January 15th I will be at The Loyal Biscuit Co. to help them celebrate their first year under new ownership. I am offering FREE training advice for anyone interested from 10:00 til 2:00. If you're in the area come on by and say hello.
*
So that's all I've planned for now relating to dogs. What do you all have planned for your dogs?
*
(The footprints are my boot print next to Jacks paw print. Yeah they are that big!)

1 comment:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I love the Iditarod! I read Paulson's book... very funny. I'll have to get the Lance book.