Thursday, February 5, 2009

The bulldog hunt

This is a photo of my sisters dog Zeus. Sadly we lost him in May. (some of you may remember) We are still on the search for a healthy and friendly bulldog for her to add to her family. It has hit a point of fustration as many breeders have seemingly ignored my requests for info. I am starting to see why so many people "order" dogs off the internet. It is much easier and faster that the reputable routes. But in the spirit of NOT becoming part of the chain of supply and demand that keeps puppymills alive, I sent out a plea last night to about 10 breeders off the Bulldog Club of Americas website. If that doesn't net some good results for us I am not sure what we will try next. For the curious we are going the breeder route because while Zeus was a great dog he was also riddled with serious health problems and ultimately had to be euthanized due to unstable temperment. Does that mean all rescued dogs have issues? Certainly not. There are MANY great dogs in rescue and shelters. And many of them are healthy too. However she would prefer not to go through that heartbreak again. Especially considering this is a breed that can be prone to health problems that back yard breeders and puppymills just don't check for. (it is to expensive for BYB's and cuts into the profit for puppymills)

Please wish us luck in our endevor. She is a fabulous home just waiting to love on her new family member. (and I hear she has a great dog sitter too! VBG)

4 comments:

Nate the Dog Training Guy said...

Wow, I have a lot to learn about how people acquire their unusual dog breeds. My friend invested in a female dog that was pregnant, and could not have the puppies naturely. The day before the scheduled c-section, she dropped dead and despite heroic efforts, all five puppies, and hence his investment were lost!! Keep up the search and don't give up yet!

Anonymous said...

I do wish you guys the best of luck in finding a breeder. I have a coworker who is trying to find a good GSD breeder and she's having a heck of a time. People just don't get back to her. Her current dog had both of his knees repaired by the age of two and has suffered from chronic allergies for his entire life. She doesn't want to go through that again, and I can't say I blame her!

Marie said...

Thanks Katie. We do finally have some solid leads on puppies and older dogs from good breeders. (and someone finally answered my questions about what health testing they do on bulldogs. You would not believe how many times that question has been ducked!)

I know that going to a reputable breeder doesn't guarantee a dog for the lifetime it certainly cuts down on the probability for issues over the other options.

Anonymous said...

Marie,
So sorry to hear about your sisters loss, I myself lost my 13 year old lab about 6 months ago and I surely feel for all of you. It is also so nice to hear that your family understands the terrible problems with those ****** puppy mills, (sorry I lost control there for a moment) I wish you all the best.
Thomas
Http://www.k-9corner.blogspot.com