Saturday, February 7, 2009

How to identify your pet

Since I now work at a vet hospital (again) I went over my pets records to see if they needed anything. It would seem odd to not have my dogs go to the vet I work for so I figured getting them each in soon while they were healthy would be a good idea. This way the doctors and the dogs get to meet each other on a positive note. One of the things I noticed going through their records was that I hadn't gotten Jenny microchipped yet. (Bad dog mom!) She has been with us for over a year now and was way overdue. I am unsure how I let that slip. I am a big fan of microchipping for a couple of reasons. One is the lost or separated pet issue of course. They can help you be reunited if they get lost and end up at the shelter. I know you are thinking that could never happen to you, but what if there was a fire and they got out of the house or an intruder lets them loose? What if they are in the car and you have a bad wreck? There are many ways you can get separated from your pet accidentaly. They can also help if your dog is ever stolen. I am always telling people that if you had to prove in a court of law that a dog was yours photos just might not be enough. But a microchip sure would help prove ownership. (lots of photos is a great back pu plan though) After I get them chipped I also always register them with the company, in my case AVID. This way they can reach me directly instead of having to call the vet who chipped the dog and track me down from there. (what if it was on a Sunday?) And you can register a back up contact person and number too. Piece of mind that is well worth the extra fee in my opinion.

I also believe in dog tags. They are the quickest way for people to see that the dog is owned (and loved) by someone. When my first akita was being watched by a friend he got loose and went missing for the night. Fortunately he was tagged and the person who found him called the number on that tag and I got him back quickly. I also had an akita rescue get away from a new home and went missing for 3 months. She was eventually reunited because she was wearing the back up tag the rescue group required all their dogs have until new tags were procured by the new owner. (we paid the reward as advertised on our tags as well)

My three all wear their state tag, that proves they are licenced with the town, a tag with our address and phone number listed, and their microchip tag. I do not add the rabies tag only because being licenced with the town proves them current on rabies. (and if i used a clinic for that vax it would be a different vet than my own anyhow) The microchip tag is plastic so putting it between the metal tags prevents to much noisy jingling. Missy's address tag is the CGC tag from AKC that she earned. The other thing you can add to address tags is second side info such as on medication, not good with other dogs, or a personal message. On the back of Jenny's I put "Please return me to my boy. He misses me." I worry someone might try to keep her since she is so cute. (the remake of Lassie where they NEVER look for the previous owner of such a fabulous stray put THAT thought into my head thank you very much) My address tags came from the local shelter where they have a machine that can make them up on the spot. No waiting and revenue for a good cause. I just love a win win don't you?

Here is this weekend's visitor. A male from the same litter. He is a brute at 14 lbs already. (For visiting dogs or ones on vacation it is also a great idea to have in transit tags or tags with the vacation address on them. )
All collars shown by www.ifitbarks.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marie,
wonderful post on the importance of tags and microchiping.I love the idea of putting a reward tag on the collar also. Also the example of being in a car accident, I bet a lot of people don't think about that. Great post!