Thursday, February 21, 2008

Closing doors

I got an e-mail today from Elsa Larsen of My Wonderful Dog. http://www.wonderfuldogs.org/ For those that don't already know, they train service dogs for the disabled in Portland Maine. It seems they are closing their doors due to lack of funding. How I wish I were independently wealthy and in a position to help.


Here is the letter with details on a sale they are having THIS WEEKEND of dog related equiptment. (I hope this helps get the word out for them.)




Goodbye...

Dear friends,

I am saddened to tell you that after 8 years, My Wonderful Dog will be closing its doors at the end of the month. We have quite simply, run out of money and cannot continue to operate.

It has been a bittersweet, wild ride. Thank you all for your support, your love, and well wishes. I see so many problems in the world today and I am grateful that you have allowed me the opportunity to see the enormous amount of good in people. Thank you Maine, and a special thanks to those of you in the greater Portland area, for the opportunity, even for a short while, to pursue my dream. It has been an honor to work with you, both human and canine alike, and it has touched me deeply. Here's to the dogs that enrich our lives with their unbridled joy and enthusiasm. They certainly do make our lives whole.




Elsa LarsenMy Wonderful Dog
Assistance Dogs for People with Disabilities

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

*****
Inventory Sale this Weekend

This Saturday Feb. 23rd and Sunday the 24th from 9-3, My Wonderful Dog will hold an inventory sale at our Portland Training center at
54 Cove Street off Marginal Way. Open to the public. Cash and checks preferred, credit cards accepted.

To pay off our debt, we must sell all of the contents of our facility. Included in the inventory are dog crates, office supplies and furniture, training equipment, books and DVD's. There are framed dog photos and a beautiful 5' x 5' painting by local artist Toni Wolf. There is a washer/dryer, refrigerator, microwave, dog bowls, leashes, pig's ears, bully sticks and more.

Volunteer help is needed both days to help with the sale! Please email Jess at jessicahart31@gmail.com if you can lend a hand.
*****
Van for Sale

My Wonderful Dog will be selling our 2006 Chevy Express cargo van. This vehicle has 30,000 miles, is an automatic with power brakes, power windows and locks. The van is also equipped with all wheel drive making it exceptionally safe to drive in winter.

If you are interested in finding out more, please call Elsa at 329-2925.

*****

Head Trainer will Continue to Train Dogs

CEO and head trainer, Elsa Larsen, will continue to work with pet dogs and their owners in the greater Portland area. "Dogs have been my life for the past 10 years and I can't imagine not working with them in some capacity", says Larsen. Although she is still trying to find a suitable space to rent for group classes, Elsa will be doing in-home consults and will continue to work with aggressive dogs.


*****

I for one am very VERY saddened by the news of the closing. They were a fabulous facility working for a really great cause. I really admired the work they did. I am glad to know she will still be training in the area and hosting those fabulous behavior and training seminars with guest speakers. The next will be with Jean Donaldson on July 13th. (I'll be sure to post details once it gets closer.)


I wish Elsa much success in her new journey. For her, an Irish Blessing:


May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you In the palm of His hand.


*****

1 comment:

Angel Logan said...

Thanks for posting Marie. I am one of the lucky people to be partnered with a service dog from My Wonderful Dog. Logan truly is a wonderful dog and it's so sad that Maine is losing such a great non profit. I hope that people who care about the dog human bond will financially support other organizations that do such good work.