Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jack gets his turn

One problem with having multiple dogs is making sure they all get good one on one time with their owners. Lately this has been a challenge for me.

Jack finally got his turn to try the bloodtracking. I've done a little regular tracking with him but he isn't the most driven dog and didn't seem that interested. He even earned the nickname "One Track Jack" for that reason. I am not into forcing a dog to do something they don't enjoy so we just stopped. I figured I'd try him on bloodtracking because he does like his deer meat and I thought that might be a bigger motivator. I was right, he definatly stayed with it for the short bit of track I gave him. Normally when he lost a corner he would be done but this time he kept searching. I did notice that he started air scenting though so maybe he is just better at that and asking him to track actual steps is not his thing. I need to experiment abit more with it.

I feel that Jack has gotten the short end of the stick lately. With Missy being sick and needing extra attention, and Jenny being the high energy dog and needs to be kept busy, Jack is always the one left last to do stuff. I need to make more of an effort to get him out and have fun with him too. It is a classic case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Jack is such an easy dog that he gets overlooked. I need to stop taking him for granted and challenge him more to enrich his life daily.

I think I have finally figured out how to embed video here now. Here is my most recent attempt with Jacks track.

1 comment:

Kotikokki said...

Great to hear Jack tried blood trakcig! I have done it with both my LC akitas and they love it. They just have a too lazy owner for regular training.